Brian Nystrom

Gene Cosloy wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote in message ...

Why not just use the screws that comes with the compass and be done with
it? They work absolutely fine, which is why they're included. You guys
have come up with a bunch of "solutions in search of a problem". There's
no need to re-engineer this.

Hi Brian,
No need to beat a dead horse but if there is a way to screw (no pun
intended) this up, I found it. Seems the brass plate under the top
cover will not allow the screw to turn freely, so if you try to mount
the whole compass with the screws already in both plates as is found
in the box, you will as I did overtighten and breakoff the screw
heads. Luckily my local hardware store had replacements.

I know what you're referring to, but I've never had that problem. If you
push the mounting flange firmly against the surface that you're screwing
into (normal practice), the screws tighten fine. Even when I haven't
held the flange tight to the surface, it's not been a problem. I guess
you were just unlucky,