Dick

Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna?

On my first trip to Mexico I used a Radio Shack radio that worked but I could
not always hear. I realized later that the problem was the antenna. You will
need the best antenna you can get for whatever you get as a radio. Making a
long wire antenna is cheap but you should make it so that you can use it while
sailing. The radio reception on the west coast of Baja is not vary good even
with the best of antennas so try to get the best one you can.

Reception in the Sea of Cortez is better in most places.

Dick