Walt

Default Recommend a low priced single handed dinghy ?

"katysails" wrote

JY14

Mike Mc wrote:

?

I think she means a JY15, from JY Sailboats (now absorbed by Hunter)
http://www.huntermarine.com/models/jy15/index.html

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a JY15 for solo sailing. They capsize
quite readily and are nearly impossible to right with one person. (But
they can be a lot of fun.)

If you're sailing solo you want to be self-sufficient. A small sailboat
*will* capsize at some point. It's not a question of "if" it's a
question of "when". Make sure you can right it yourself, or have enough
people along to right it.

Most centerboard dinghys can be launched and retrieved with one person
with a trailer and launch ramp. (although it is convienent to have a
second pair of hands). Obviously a 12-footer is easier to deal with
than a 19 footer. Some boats are small and light enough to be
car-topped (i.e. Laser, Sunfish, Topper), but you'd probably want help
lifting it on and off the car.

BTW, "low price" would probably mean used, so you're going to be at the
mercy of whats available on the used market in your area.

Here's a couple of places to start your sailboat search. A good
introduction to the various dinghys that are out there.

http://www.sailboatsales.com/boats.htm
http://www.ruach.net/Dinghy.html

Good Luck.

--