Jonathan Ganz

Default Bought a Reinel 26'

Jim, but what if the reason you haven't heard about it is
that after people buy the boat, they quickly come to
realize (as most of us here have) that they're junk and
decide not to sail the darn things???

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Jeff Morris wrote:
"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Who are you talking about? If you take the time to read my note, I never
suggested that popularity of the Macs equals quality. The point of the
above discussion was to point out that, if the ridiculous statements
about Macs being under built were true, BECAUSE there are thousands of
them out there, we would have hundreds of reports every year about Macs
breaking up and owners and passengers being lost.

This is just one more example of the total lack of intellectual honesty
of some participants on this ng. You can't dig much dirt out of what I
say, so you deliberately lie about it and twist the discussion around to
what you would have like for me to have said, but didn't.

Do you disagree with my suggestion that, with thousands of Macs in use,
IF THERE WERE serious deficiencies in the Macs, we would have many
reports of Macs breaking up under normal weather conditions, and Onwers
and passengers being lost? IF YOU DON'T, how do you explain the fact
that thousands of Macs are sailing every year, thousands of Mac owners
are happy with them, and very few reports are received regarding Mac
failures?

So you're saying that if less than 10% of the boats break up and cause
fatalities, that's an acceptable ratio for you?

This is just one more example of your flawed logic, and lack of

intellectual
honesty. Frankly, even one incident is enough to ring major alarms,

especially
when it shows that the warnings ARE deadly serious.

BTW, you asked when you made your comments poo-pooing the warnigns. It

was
April 11 - here's more of the exchange with me:

Me:

The Mac is clearly unsafe without its water ballast. The admonishments

include:

no more than 4 people. Keep crew aft, low and centered. The kids can't

even
stay in the forward bunk! They actually tell you not to use the forward

bunks
when underway! They say it is unsafe in seas higher than one foot! So

much
for coming in from offshore. You can't stand on the deck because

someone

might

grab the mast to hold on! What? They're afraid someone might pull the

boat
over trying to hold on??? No, this is not typical of a 26 foot

sailboat, nor
is it typical of a 26 foot powerboat.

You:
Jeff, have you had many dealings with corporate attorneys? Or tort
lawyers? If you had, you would recognize that these warnings, if taken
literally, are something like the warnings posted in our health center
warning us to be sure to wear our seat belt when using the Nautilus
weight training equipment. Or, like the long list of warnings you get
when you purchase any electrical appliance, audio equipment, etc.

Jeff, do you actually believe that the warnings regarding the Mac
weren't reviewed by legal counsel? If so, I have several bridges you
might have an interst in. (Note, This DOES NOT mean that the warnings
about sailing without the water ballast shouldn't be taken seriously.)

Jim