Rich Hampel

Default Mast pumping, how harmful is it?

Pardon the 'brain fart'.
You are correct. Thanks for the 'editing'. FORWARD bow at the
middle is the correct practice.

A lot of the old time sailing ships (Schooners, bugeyes, etc.) that
used hoops to connect the main to the mast did in fact apply such an
'inversion' ... as a means to increase draft.

In article , Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:01:54 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:
Most single spreader masts
will GREATLY benefit from establishing a 1" fore/aft "prebend" - which
bends the mast in the middle towards the stern of the boat.

This sounds backwards to me unless we are using different terminology.
I think of pre-bend as bowing the middle of the mast in a forward
direction. The opposite of that is "inversion", i.e., mast bowed
towards the stern. Inversion is generally regarded as a bad thing
since it is contrary to normal structural design.

Any other opinions out there?