Peter Wiley

Default Windlass Electrical Connection

In article , Ray Cullum
wrote:

I am considering adding a electric windlass to my boat and I would like some
opinions on the best way to connect to the electrical system.

The windlass will be approximately 40 feet from my house battery bank which is
700amps. It has been suggested to me to place a small battery up close to the
windlass so you don't have to run heavy battery cable such a distance and
sustain the power loss. Small cable could be run to the battery strictly for
recharging.

You've seen the other replies and the pros/cons. For a different
perspective, have you considered hydraulics? Keep the motor near the
battery bank and run the hydraulic lines to the winch. You can get 12V
DC motors & pumps, run a pump off your main engine via a magnetic
clutch or even a 110V AC motor via invertor.

This is fishing boat tech, not yacht, so of course it may not be as
elegant but it will work much more reliably. I think 12V DC anchor
winches are inventions designed to kill batteries and fail when most
needed.

PDW