Peter Wiley

Default A place where liberal politics and yachting collided

I don't think oil supplies are infinite at all. I merely think that
we'll use something else when it becomes important to do so. Fuel cells
for one example.

Notice how wireless comms is making copper based phone systems less
important? We used to wonder how the 3rd World could build a comms
infrastructure. Simple now.

Point is that doomsayers like you always cry like Chicken Little but
the date is always some time in the future. When that date comes
around, quiet reigns - and another prediction is made for some future
time.

Frankly your record sucks.

PDW

In article , thunder
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:48:57 +1000, Peter Wiley wrote:

Ya know, I have 20 years of Mother Earth News magazines. The 'experts'
used to say exactly the same thing.

Back in the 1970's.

And that makes them wrong? Hubbert predicted, in 1956, that US production
would peak in 1970. He was scoffed at then, but looking back, that is
when US oil production peaked. Since 1984, new oil discoveries have
failed to replace oil production. Demand is constantly increasing,
especially in Third World countries such as China and India. And, this
country still does not have a comprehensive energy policy. You may think
oil supplies are infinite, but they are not. Peak oil will be sooner, not
later.