Jeff Morris

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

"John Cairns" wrote in message
Opening the forward hatch in heavy seas is a no-no for the obvious

reasons.

BB

You better explain why this is, I don't think "jim" understands the concept
of waves and where they might end up.

This is one of those lessons that has to be learned the hard way. It seems so
easy to understand that forward hatches must be kept shut, but it only really
sinks in after you see 6 inches of water on top of the bunk you have to sleep in
that night.

Last summer we had serious green water all the way to the dodger for the first
time. Fortunately I anticipated it - we were exiting the Cape Cod Canal on a 5
knot current against a 20 knot breeze - and was able to convince my wife that
*all* hatches must be sealed. We rode up and over the first two big square
waves (about 5-6 footers) but dove through the 8 footer before being squirted
out into Cape Cod Bay. My wife was in the cabin below and freaked when she saw
6 inches of water over her head!

I've wondered how a mac would handle this. With a good hand on the wheel, it
should be able to blast through; but get twisted a bit in the first wave ...