Lloyd Sumpter

Default pump out or no pumpout head

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:43:52 +0000, David Ditch wrote:

Thanks for all the replys.
All the boats I am looking at come standard with the porta pottie in the
cuddie. The thing I'm contemplating is to get the pump out option or not.
Its me, my wife and 3 kids total.
I'd expect outings to be several hours at a time, not necessarily all day.
I'd expect that If I do an all day trip, there would be some stops along the
way to some dock side restaurants or something.

I'm confused about all the replies that say a 23ft cuddy is too small for
this application. Hell, I see families of 5 or more out for the afternoon
in 18-ft runabouts all the time. I also think a small cuddy for pottie and
changing into/out of swimsuits would be handy.

As long as you're not doing overnights, a 20-23 ft cuddy would be fine. A
bigger boat means: More initial cost, more moorage costs (even the temp
ones at restaurants, etc), more operating costs (read: FUEL! See the
thread on "Energy Independance"), and if you're towing it, bigger tow
vehicle (again, read more fuel consumption!) and so on.

Same for the portable vs pumpout: The portable is simpler and cheaper.
WHEN the head starts to smell, if it's a portapottie you can just chuck
it, but a built-in has hoses going in inaccessable places, thru-hulls...

I say, keep it simple!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12