Gould 0738

Default Evinrude FICHT beats out Yamaha in JD Powers survey

Say it isn't so. :^) They gotta be honest. See their page at
http://www.jdpower.com/cc/boats/about/about_ratings.asp It'll tell you
so!

-JimL

Note that they disclaim any responsibility for product ranking. "We're just the
messenger, reporting what the public says in surveys. We don't test, evaluate,
or offer our own opinions on anything."

Makes them very unlike Consumer Reports. Even CR has some problems.
They rely too heavily on historical trends being projected into the future and
do not allow for product improvements or design changes. (Example, one year CR
rated the Toyota Corrolla well above the Chevy Nova.
Chevy Nova had a poor repair history compared to Toyota, was one of the main
reasons. Ahem! That particular year the Chevy and the Toyota were coming down
the exact same assembly line at NUMMI motors in California, and the primary
difference was the piece of chromed plastic on the trunk and the dashboard that
said either "Nova" or "Corrolla".)

Anybody with an IQ 3 above a tree can design survey questions that are going to
get predictable responses.

(Extreme example):

Would you rather eat:

1. A nice, tender, fat, juicy, sizzling steak hot off the grill.

2. A limp bit of warm, wilted lettuce without dressing.

After asking the question 1000 times, we could allow the American Beef
Producers
Association to proclaim: "J.D. Pourless Survey proves America prefers beef for
dinner! Vegans in serious decline!"

(quote for Powers page)
What makes J.D. Power consumer ratings so different?

Since 1968, J.D. Power and Associates has been conducting quality and customer
satisfaction research based on survey responses from millions of consumers
worldwide. We do not rely on "expert opinion." Our product and service rankings
in no way reflect the opinions or preferences of the firm, and we do not
review, judge or test products and services ourselves.

We represent the voice of the customer by translating survey responses into
information that companies worldwide use to improve quality and customer
satisfaction, as well as to help consumers make better decisions. J.D. Power
and Associates has developed and maintains one of the largest, most
comprehensive historical customer satisfaction databases in existence, which
includes feedback on virtually all aspects of the shopping, buying, and product
and service ownership experience.