DSK

Default Best small Cruisers Under 10K

Islander 30... a Bob Perry design, sails well and properly built

felton wrote:

Bong! You are thinking of the Islander 28. I agree the 28 would be
worth looking at, though. Bob Finch designed the 30 and I enjoyed
that boat and there are quite a number of freshwater boats available.
I owned an Islander 30 for 9 years and had a lot of great times in
that boat, in spite of my limited math skills

Oops... sorry. It's hard to keep track of all the boats Bob Perry designed. I
apologize for the mistake, I certainly wasn't trying to take any credit away from
Bob Finch who also designed a lot of good boats... mostly racier ones like the
Mirages IIRC.

We have some friends who just finished up a fairly lengthy cruise on an Islander
30... and then went out and took second in class in a good size regatta. I'd
consider that credentials for being a 'great' boat!

I was a little surprised to see a Sabre 28 pop up on the listings in
this price range.

There are a lot of great deals around on Sabre 28s. I know of one
that is about to come on the market in the Detroit area. 2 owner,
freshwater, recently repowered, in great shape for $23k. A LOT of
value for not much money.

Yes, that's why I was surprised to see one for under $10K. I wonder if it's
trashed.

I just felt compelled to post a list of boats that would be quite good for
cruising, that one wouldn't necessarily be able to find 3 for sale within 5 miles
of ones house. That seems to be Boobsie's definition of 'great.' And Jax's
definition seems to be... well, I'm not sure but it seems to include being very
heavy, slow, and recommended by legions of salty-seeming wanna-bees.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King