Calif Bill

Default Can I change my Merc outboard to a jet pump?

The discussion is on Outboard jets, not inboard. As to fuel consumption, I
run a 3200# aluminum jetboat with a 351W driving the Kodiak pump. About
1.5-2 mpg. Not much worse than prop driven boat. Maybe 85% efficient. Top
speed is less, I run about 39 mph at 4400 rpm. Prop would probably be in
the 48-50 mph range.
The O/B jets do have a gear drive to the pump that is in the foot of the
leg.

Bill

"NetSock" wrote in message
Two more advantages...

Inexpensive. Less that half the cost of an equivalent out-drive.

Simplicity. Two moving parts. No gears, shafts, u-joints, bellows, etc.

--
It's just about going fast...that's all...

http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/
"JimL" wrote in message
Just to name two disadvantages. :^) Their main advantage, if
it's what you want/need is the shallow water capability.

-JimL

Florida Keyz wrote:
major fuel use increase, and hp loss. Guess you know that