N1EE

Default Heaving a line

Good answers.

Here is the method I use to heave a line.

I make two coils and throw both coils underhanded
on my dominant side--heaving them at an angle
of about 45 degrees. I toss the coil with the
bitter end first (dominant hand) and throw second
coil with my other hand a spilt second later.
Both arms swing and release on the same side.

You can experiment to find the right number of
coils to maximize your throw. With a little
practice you will find your accuracy is astounding.

I start with a new coil and split it into two
sections, and then cock each wrist 45 degrees and
hold my wrists loosely touching each other at about
a 90 degree angle, and start swinging.

With you wrists angled like this, swing the two
coils back and forth several times to study the
line while it is swinging to make the motion
smooth--ensuring the coils are neat and free
from fouling.

On the third swing I release the dominant hand,
and when then non-dominant hand when it is fully
extended. If the coils don't look good, I stop,
re-coil the line and try again. It is important
the coils be as neat as possible so they can
unroll smoothly.

I've never measured my best line throwing distance
using this method. However, I've never seen anyone
that can beat me using this technique. Having long
arms give me an edge over most people.

I have seen people practicing this at the docks,
and while make the toss, forgeting to make off the
bitter end--tossing all the line in the harbor,
spending the next 20 minutes with an extended boat
hook trying recover it. grin

There is no need to put a weight or knot on the
end or a need to wetting down the end. Why?
Because with this method you can pitch a line such
that if done on land it will lay full length on the
ground in nearly straight line away from you.

There are four reasons not to put anything at the
bitter end of a heavier line. First, there is the
danger of hitting and injuring your receiver.
Second, it is easier to catch. Third, the line can
immediately be cleated off. And fourth, the line
won't foul as easily, and if it does, it will be
easier to clear any snags.

I tend to overshoot--preferring to throw too long
rather than short. I have to remember not to show
off and toss it too far--which I've been known to do.
Finally, if heaving a line to another boat, it is
wise to ask them to switch to neutral gear.

The one good reason for using a weight on the end
is for distance, on a messenger line. A messenger
line is very light with negligable mass; it can't be
thrown unless there is a weight on the end. A good
example: mono-filament fishing line with baseball
sized sandbag or a small monkeys fist around a heavy
core. A sandbag might be better than a monkey's fist,
because it is easier to catch, less prone to cause
injury to people or the boat. I can't say which would
be better without experimenting. Has anyone tried
both types of weights?

The messenger, whether it is mono-filament or simply
a lightweight line, is, as everyone knows, tied to
heavier line, and must be strong enough to haul the
heavier line across the distance without breaking.

Bart Senior

MC wrote

You can also wet the throwing coil and add a figure 8 at the end for
more range -if time permits.

Cheers MC

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

More of a technical answer than mine, but I got it right first. :-)

"MC" wrote

2 coils, say about 20-30' in throwing hand the rest in other hand. Use
an underarm throw with shoulders swinging across the direct of throw (if
you see what I mean) aiming to send the rope up and out at about 45
degrees and as soon at the short coil is flying open the other hand flat
to let coils slip off. The rope must be coiled correctly to prevent
tangles and the coil should be in the direction that the rope is flying
so that the rotation imparted to the coil by the throw causes it to
unwind. (I do not think flaking the line is a good idea as it will
promote tangles more than a flying wide coil).

Cheers

N1EE wrote:

What is the best way to heave a line for
maximum range?

Assumptions:

You are in a hurry, you do not have a line
launcher, messenger line, monkey's fist or
any other weight at the end of the line you
want to throw.

All you have is 100' of 5/8" braided line.

Bart Senior