otnmbrd

Default And ???????

Joe wrote:
(Roy G. Biv) wrote in message . com...

Donal wrote:

Common sense tells me that doing 25 kts in fog is stupid.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...504230-07.hcsp

Good example of a major ****-up. If Donal paid attention he would of
read that I never pass or overtake at full speed. And I always do
everything I can to talk to the other vessel and make passing
agreements. Even after talking I will creep pass the other vessel
before getting back up on plane. These idiots assumed to much and paid
for it. I always treat the other vesseel in fog like Donal is at the
wheel and expect them to do something stupid.

http://www.shipownersclub.com/losspr...asia/39495.htm

Another great example of a **** up. Both had radars set at .75 miles
moving at 30 knots. If donal read my post he would see that I set my
radars at 1.5 miles and have well over 2 minutes to stop if I meet
another crewboat doing 20 knots.
And I have time to talk and AGREE on what whistle we are going to
pass.

Depends on where you are and what your set-up is.
If you are running HSC or the Miss., this would not be bad, especially
if you only have one set. If you had two, for that type boat, depending
on where you are, I might suggest one set at 3.0m and the other on 1.5
(scanning down on the 1.5m set, at times.)
Once clear of the channel, into the Gulf, I'd probably kick one set up
to 6.0m (at least) and the other to 3.0m (if only one set, 3.0m with
kick ups to 6.0m)then scan the 3.0m set, down, on occasion.
G Personal opinion .... On a ship, it would be totally different.
For the average recreational boater, if you don't have to go in these
conditions, don't .... if you get caught in them, slow WAY down, and
take your time .... you're doing it for fun, not to make a living.

otn