Simple Simon

Default Professional Courtesy and Respect

Thank you. I think the U.S.C.G licenses rely more
on 'book' knowledge and less on a practical exam
as there is no practical exam at all out on a boat.

I would say the U.S.C.G. license is more geared
towards motor vessels and a master's responsibility
in regards to that. Safety of life at sea is a very
high priority. Being a Merchant Marine Officer
is not like being a sailing yachtsman at all.

While a sailing yachtsman is generally a better
seaman by virtue if his intimacy with the sea, the
Merchant Marine Officer is better versed in
the rules and regulations concerning running a
commercial ship and carrying passengers for
hire.

S.Simon

"Donal" wrote in message ...

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye. Hear ye, all my fellow
USCG licensed Masters.

This is to notify Misters Shen44, otnmbrd, Jeff Morris,
Rick, Joe, Schoonertrash, Fulmor and any other of my
fellow Masters who might be reading this announcement
that I am in possession of my renewed U.S. Merchant
Marine Officer license issued on 11 December, 2003.

Allow me to offer my congratulations!

How does your USCG Masters licence compare with the(Internationally
renowned) RYA Yachtmaster qualification?

Do I have to look *up* to you, or should I offer words of encouragement?

Regards

Donal