Charlie

Default Daft Beginner Questions!

wrote in message

I take kids out on flat water to train 1/2/3 Star. They usually paddle
Whippits or Whiplashes, not long boats, but longer than my old Riot
Glide or Inazone 232. If they make any effort to paddle I can't keep
up with them (different hull shape too).

The Inazone 212 was reccomended to me by the shop that supplies our club
kayaks. Haven't heard anything else about it, but it IS in my price range,
leaving me enough change to buy a spraydeck! What did you think of it?
I've seen reviews that say it's a good beginners boat but will it grow with
me as I get better? Will I be able to run down Welsh rivers as well as play
in the sea here?

When I was learning I used an Odysee (a veritable barge with a keel).
It ran straight and none of the instructors could keep up with me -
forward or reverse paddling.

I've been playing Polo too, and wow do those boats move! I can understand
why, but I've semi-decided I don't like that shape much. I find them hard
to stear!

If you get too small a boat, say, for argument's sake a Sub 6 190 (I
think), you can have great fun playboating, but try river running and
you may find yourself having to utilise rolling skills quite
frequently.

Ah, so playboats are an uh-oh for rivers? Most of the guys in our club seem
to use playboats, but they're all experienced and good!

Something else you might not be aware of. It might not matter to you.
Every boat has a built in maximum speed.

This I'm not too bothered about. I'd rather be able to mess about in it
that get somewhere quickly!

I'd never tell anyone what boat to buy, I'd possibly advise caution
though. I'm fortunate in that our Scout Group has access to a wide
range of boats, and our pool of Coaches means that there are always
different boats around to play with.

Yup, going to attempt to do this Thursday. Unfortunatly most of the members
with their own boats are large men, and most of the club boats are either
RPM's or crappy old ones that are like polo kayaks.

You maybe also want to consider your paddle too...

Paddle I'm not going to attempt yet! I'm happy borrowing bits and pieces of
the clubs kit at the moment, boat and spraydeck are the only things I really
need right now. I'm likeing the Polo paddles though more than the ones I've
been using out in the marina and the sea! Don't really know what the
difference is, they just feel different.

Thanks ever so much for your advice. I'm just asking so many people so many
questions at the moment, but it's the only way to learn!

Charlie

---