Calif Bill

Default Spark plug damage

"ClassicBoat" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:25:42 -0400, "john collins"
wrote:

I had a tune up for my Volvo-penta outdrive and the ground electrode

broke
off fell into the engine and scored the cylinder wall. Is it fault of the
dealer who installed the plug, delco or what? Who should pay?

This is your problem, nobody knows for sure who is at fault. Dealer
my say, "sorry", but that it just happened.

Can we pull the engine remove the piston grind the wall to
remove the scoring about .01 inch deep?
Then use same or oversize rings or piston. Or should they repaace the

engine
with a long block?

With a score of approximately .010 deep you are going to have to bore
.020-.030 oversize. I wouldn't be crazy about this repair, but if *I*
was paying for it I probably wouldn't spring for the extra $$$$$$ for
a long block. You would only need a short block, anyway. Compare
prices and downtime.

Dealer may say it just happened, but he was doing the work. Same as if he
says oh the plug just happened to strip in the head, you pay for a new head.
Here in Calif, I would go to small claims court if the dealer refused to
make good. Depending on circumstances, small claims go either $2500 or
$5000. No lawers allowed.
Bill