Simple Simon

Default COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility.

I maintain it is NOT scanty information. Try getting out of
the wheelhouse and opening your ears and you will discover
it's easy to tell the bearing of a vessel giving fog signals. It is
also not too difficult to tell the sound is getting louder (closer).

Look at your radar as required by the Rules and plot positions
and get bearings.

Rule 8 applies in ALL conditions of visibility and it states that
changing course early and largely is often the best way to
avoid a close quarters situation. You would have me create
a close quarters situation with your stupid insistence that
I slow down and remain on the same course. You are
Wrong Wrong Wrong!

Why give signals at all if you're just gonna ignore them
or use them to create close quarters situations?

Huh? Huh? I can't HEAR you!

S.Simon

Subject: COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted
visibility.
From: "Simple Simon"

It's simple. Information is not scanty when

1) I hear the fog signal of a vessel forward over a period of time and
it's bearing is not changing and the signal is getting louder.

This is scanty information. In truth, the bearing may be opening left or right
or may be steady... by sound alone there is no way to be absolutely sure.

2) I must follow the Rules that states if there is any doubt that a vessel
is on a collision course then assume it is indeed on a collision course.

In which case, follow rule 19 (e)

3) I know Rule 8 states a course change early and pronounced is perhaps
the best way to avoid a close quarters situation so I follow Rule 8 and
change my course early and evidently so as to avoid a close quarters
situation.

Based on scanty information, and not knowing whether your course change will
result in safe passing.

Shen