Tuuk

Default Should I disconnect the VRO system?

The VRO system works fine, you need to have the reduction for slower speeds.
If you are not maintaining your engine properly or storage then you will
have problems with anything IMHO. I have had VROs for a long time and have
had no problems with them.

"del cecchi" wrote in message

"ReevesJ32" wrote in message
Would it be a good idea to remove the VRO and use premixed gas

instead?

Ted..... The following should be of interest to you.

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few

times. In
my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that

they
were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is

operating
as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that

overpriced
plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the

VRO
decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a

big
problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest

feeling of
being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route

they feel
more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make

on their
own.

********************

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating

the oil
tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning

setup by
doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of

the VRO
pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back

of the
VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect

those two
wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel

you have.
Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb

until fuel
exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the

fuel
hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your

mind, have
the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire

that
you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should

sound
off.

Joe Reeves (30+ Years With OMC)

One could go to google and look up some of the lengthy posts by Karen
from Oz which detail reasons why she believes VRO is an accident waiting
to happen. They sounded reasonably persuasive to me, but I have a merc
so it is of only academic interest. And I have never looked at an
actual VRO or studied drawings in detail, so I'm not in a position to
give advice.

del cecchi