Doug Kanter

Default Boat trailer bearings: Oil vs Grease, which type is best?

"CaptMP" wrote in message
"CaptainGo" wrote

"......I
will be installing stainless steel wear sleeves on the inner part of my

spindle
to prevent either grease or oil from escaping......"

OK-what are these wear sleeves (pretty sure I know...but...)how to install

and
where to bye???
Seems I have to replace bearings dang near every time I use the trailer.

Thanks

Mike

I know that last sentence is an exaggeration, but still, you're obviously
having more problems than some other people. Since you asked "how to
install", here's a thought:

My trailer's gone 4 years without any bearing problems, but luck doesn't
last that long, so I'm going to have my mechanic open them up, clean
completely and inspect, and install new parts (if needed) which I'll get
from a marine store. The mechanic said two things:

1) If there's ANYTHING different about the parts, compared to car bearings,
and he's not comfortable doing it, he won't start the job at all. This is
why I've used the same guy since 1982.

2) Unless he's being shot at while doing the work, it should take 1-2 hours.
That's about $80. This might seem like a crazy amount of money to spend,
but:

- I don't REALLY know how to do the job, although I'm sure I could
eventually get it done. It might blow an entire Saturday, but hell....I
don't mind giving up what could be the last decent fishing day before it
snows or before the season ends for trout or bass or whatever.

- I get unlimited vacation days with pay (NOT), so if I spend one of them on
the side of the road with a broken down trailer, waiting for a tow truck,
it's no big deal.

- If, after driving 4 hours, I found that the hub on one side felt hotter
than the other, I would find this to be an interesting intellectual puzzle,
something to meditate on, like a Zen koan.

- Just like the mechanic, I could degrease the bearings so they could be
more thoroughly inspected. Then, I'd enjoy a trip to the county's haz-waste
place to get rid of the can of dirty solvent or gasoline or whatever. Much
more fun than reading fishing magazines and eating lunch.

So....$80 seems like a great idea.