Doug Kanter

Default Boat trailer bearings: Oil vs Grease, which type is best?

I've had absolutely no problem with oozing grease on my hubs, which are
fitted with Bearing Buddies.

"CaptainGo" wrote in message
I have a 1987 Caulkins Trailer which carries my 19 foot boat. I'm

considering
changing my original grease type hubs which also have "Bearing Buddies",

with
the new "Turbo Lube" oil submersed bearing trailer hubs from Tie Down
Engineering. However, I'm concerned that the oil type hubs may have

problems
with water entering them when dunking the trailer upon launching.

I've had a lot of problems with the grease in my current hubs constantly
squirting out of back side of the hubs upon submersing my trailer in the

water.
I've change the rear seals and still have the problem. I've been told

that
there is probably an air pocket within the grease in the hub and upon
driving/heating them up then submersing them in water, this is what

happens. I
will be installing stainless steel wear sleeves on the inner part of my

spindle
to prevent either grease or oil from escaping.
Has anyone one had experience with both type of hubs? Which hub causes

less
problems?