Wayne B Wayne B is offline

Default scrapping the Golden Ray

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 11:15:30 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 23:48:19 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 04:11:13 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 2:51:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
https://weather.com/news/news/2020-1...le-cars-photos

4000 cars??? Doesn't seem possible. That is, unless you take into
consideration that the theaters on modern passenger cruise lines can have
a capacity of over 2500 people. ..

These ships are tall also. Did not surprise me that one turned turtle.

===

They rely on ballast tanks to keep them on an even keel. Someone
screwed up with the tank management.

Was there a problem with the depth of the water? They may have been
trying to cheat over a shallow spot and pumped out 12,000 pounds of
water but I can't imagine that making much difference on a 71KT
vessel.

===

I haven't heard any reports of a navigation error. There would be no
reason to cheat on ballast since the channel is plenty deep at around
37 feet with no short cuts really possible. It is standard procedure
on large ships to check and adjust ballast before leaving port.
Apparently that was not done properly and the boat started listing
during a 20 degree turn. It never recovered and continued to roll on
over.

https://www.ajc.com/news/public-hearing-reveals-likely-cause-of-golden-ray-capsizing/CR6OZJX5YBA3VEWYE76ULNQ62U/