Default scrapping the Golden Ray

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 09:32:35 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/12/20 11:48 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 04:11:13 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 2:51:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
https://weather.com/news/news/2020-1...le-cars-photos

4000 cars??? Doesn't seem possible. That is, unless you take into
consideration that the theaters on modern passenger cruise lines can have
a capacity of over 2500 people. ..

These ships are tall also. Did not surprise me that one turned turtle.

===

They rely on ballast tanks to keep them on an even keel. Someone
screwed up with the tank management.

And of course, unlike the passengers on cruise ships, the cars on the
car-carrying ships don't come down with gastric illnesses!

===

True that. I've heard it explained that cars are a relatively light
cargo density compared to normal freight. That allows them to build
the ships higher but makes ballast management more critical.

https://gcaptain.com/coast-guard-medevac-cougar-ace/

wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 2:51:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
https://weather.com/news/news/2020-1...le-cars-photos

4000 cars??? Doesn't seem possible. That is, unless you take into
consideration that the theaters on modern passenger cruise lines can have
a capacity of over 2500 people. ..

These ships are tall also. Did not surprise me that one turned turtle.

===

They rely on ballast tanks to keep them on an even keel. Someone
screwed up with the tank management.

Was there a problem with the depth of the water? They may have been
trying to cheat over a shallow spot and pumped out 12,000 pounds of
water but I can't imagine that making much difference on a 71KT
vessel.

wrote:

Tim wrote:
[...]

Yup, there is a lot of air in a car and they can't really pack them in
that tight without dinging them up. A load of grain will have a much
higher density.

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 10:29:52 UTC-4, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/13/20 12:27 AM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/12/20 11:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 2:51:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
https://weather.com/news/news/2020-1...le-cars-photos

4000 cars??? Doesn't seem possible. That is, unless you take into
consideration that the theaters on modern passenger cruise lines can have
a capacity of over 2500 people. ..

These ships are tall also. Did not surprise me that one turned turtle..

A 4000 car carrier is barely average by today's standards. Many can
carry a few thousand more.

They are still very tall for a ship. And not super deep draft. Lots of
the Asian cars come in to Benicia which is in the north of the bay, pretty
much where the Sacramento River dumps in to the bay.

I've seen these car-carrier ships out on Chesapeake Bay once in a while,
heading to the Port of Baltimore. No idea what size they were, in terms
of car capacity. They are ugly ships and as you note seem top heavy.
--
Bozo Bin resuscitated...John Herring in there, along with Bert Robbins,
452471atgmail.com, Just-AN-Asshole, Evangelical Tim, and Gunboy Alex.

Yes, we get car carrier ships here on a regular basis. They unload hundreds of vehicles at Autoport on the east side of our harbour. That is a great spot sheltered from the predominate winds by MacNabs Island. The ships are big slab sided ugly vessels but guide a sight when near you on the water
Most of the vehicles are loaded on special trains headed inland with a fraction kept here for the local market.

wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 2:51:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
https://weather.com/news/news/2020-1...le-cars-photos

4000 cars??? Doesn't seem possible. That is, unless you take into
consideration that the theaters on modern passenger cruise lines can have
a capacity of over 2500 people. ..

These ships are tall also. Did not surprise me that one turned turtle.

===

They rely on ballast tanks to keep them on an even keel. Someone
screwed up with the tank management.

Was there a problem with the depth of the water? They may have been
trying to cheat over a shallow spot and pumped out 12,000 pounds of
water but I can't imagine that making much difference on a 71KT
vessel.

===

I haven't heard any reports of a navigation error. There would be no
reason to cheat on ballast since the channel is plenty deep at around
37 feet with no short cuts really possible. It is standard procedure
on large ships to check and adjust ballast before leaving port.
Apparently that was not done properly and the boat started listing
during a 20 degree turn. It never recovered and continued to roll on
over.

https://www.ajc.com/news/public-hearing-reveals-likely-cause-of-golden-ray-capsizing/CR6OZJX5YBA3VEWYE76ULNQ62U/

58 - GOLDEN FURY.jpg Canal Lee[_3_] Tall Ship Photos 0 July 17th 16 04:46 PM
Beaching and Ship Breaking (Scrapping) a Supertanker Wayne.B General 2 October 2nd 13 06:08 PM
Golden Hinde Gene Park Tall Ship Photos 0 March 4th 08 01:04 AM
Golden opportunity! Don White General 1 May 4th 07 11:53 PM
Golden opportunity! Don White General 4 May 4th 07 10:03 PM