Simple Simon

Default What type of rig?

It is not meant to be tuned as in mast bend, etc.
For racing and tuning a 3/4 rig with single lowers
is better but the disadvantage is such a set-up is
weaker.

Double lowers are important for supporting the
mast especially when well-reefed down. The disadvantage
is the mainsail begins to rub on them sooner and this compromises
the shape of the sail when broad reaching whereas single lowers
allow more room to sheet out without the sail touching
them.

"Wally" wrote in message ...
"Simple Simon" wrote in message news:fe-dnS-

It's pretty standard or was several years ago before Hunter
and some other manufacturers started skimping on standing
rigging with Gunter rigs and other such nonsense not welcome
on a cruising vessel.

Figures - the boat was made in 1972.

You rig is called a masthead rig with double lowers and
split backstay. This is a proper cruising rig.

In what way is it a proper cruising rig? Strength? Wouldn't it be viable for
(non-serious) racing as well? (I'm thinking about the tuning aspect, as
mentioned a while ago, it has a sliding gooseneck as well.)

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!