Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default General Motors

On 3/28/2020 11:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 19:56:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/27/2020 7:35 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Take a chill pill. Or maybe you've already taken too many?

First of all, it's not like GM or Ford or Tesla has to start from
scratch. The POTUS under the Defense Production Act can order
the design drawings, manufacturing procedures, bills of material
with sources from any current manufacturer to be given to GM,
Ford or Tesla. What the auto manufacturers bring to the table
is manufacturing capacity.

Second, I am surprised to see you dumping on the Donald in this
case. It was GM (big business, remember?) who was trying to
extort and take advantage of a national crisis. “

I’m surprised that someone like Toyota or Honda hasn’t already put them into production. Or the people who make CPAC machines for that matter

Toyota or Honda could probably do it but I am not sure they fall under
the Defense Production Act. Maybe the US plants do.

The key isn't a need to re-invent the wheel. The key
is manufacturing capacity and space to do it, something the auto
manufacturers have.

You may not need to reinvent the wheel but you can certainly make
stamped steel wheels and not those gold plated things that cost
$30,000 and do far more than you really need. I would simply fall back
to the difference between a M1928 (Al Capone) Thompson SMG and the
stamped steel M3 Grease Gun. Certainly the Thompson is prettier and
has more features but when you just want to throw lead at the bad guy,
an M3 is all you need.
All we are trying to do is help someone get air in their lungs and
back out. In reality that is all a CPAP machine is too. Tim is right.
Similar function and technology.

I saw a doctor being asked if a CPAP machine could be modified for
use as a ventilator. Answer was "No".

Also saw another doc who is currently working in a hospital in
NYC. He explained the protocols and steps taken when a person
is admitted with covid-19 and has difficulty breathing.

They are not put on a ventilator initially. They start with a
oxygen face mask. If the patient responds well, that's all
they do.

Often though, the patient will initially seem to do better
but then deteriorate. At that point they use another type
of oxygen delivery system that is under pressure.

If that fails, they go to another oxygen system that I can't
remember how it differs, but somehow it's a 'high delivery"
system.

If that fails the patient is then put on a ventilator.
The doc said the ventilator is used when all else has
failed and is used as a last resort.

https://www.avg.com