John Cairns

Default Never run downwind?

Can you say "death roll". We got caught running briefly last Saturday, and
stared to intiate said action. Very uncomfortable, I can assure you.

Finally, a run is dangerous. Those rolls can cause the boom to swing across
and smash your crew's heads. A single quick roll can cascade into a series
of ever deeper dips, alternately to windward and leeward, ending with a wild
broach either to windward or to leeward. This series of events is so
catastrophic that it's called a death roll.

John Cairns
Gerard Weatherby wrote in message
There's an article on sailnet (

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...d=rousma0082%2
0%20&tfr=fp
or http://tinyurl.com/h9z6 ) which claims it's faster to tack downwind on

broad
reaches instead of running straight downwind. (Assuming you want to get

dead
downwind.) Have those of you who sail found this to be true? Let's

assume
there's no spinnaker since I don't have one.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org