Default Salesman lesson for Don White

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 07:41:04 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Yup. I had one. Under about 2,000 RPM it ran on two cylinders. Above
that, the other two kicked in. Almost threw me out of my 16' Boston
Whaler the first time I kicked up the throttle leaving Scituate Harbor.

That was a terrible motor. It was a two stroke and had a large plastic
reservoir under the cowling that you filled with 2 stroke oil that was
automatically mixed with straight gas from the gas tank. That was fine
but whenever you tilted the engine up it leaked oil all over the place.
I could never determine where it was coming from.

I had that oil reservoir on my 75 Mariner/Merc/Yamaha. I found out
pretty quick that you only fill it about 3/4 of the way or the oil
runs out when you tilt it. That is where the level stabilizes after it
has been tilted a few days. I marked the tank at that spot as "full".
It doesn't really pour out since it is coming from the vent so it is
not apparent it is leaking right away.
I was new to the whole oil injection thing and I was thinking this
thing sure does use a lot of oil.
I was wet slipping the boat when that motor was new because my lift
was still under construction and I got a few weeks of experience ;-)