Scout

Default What to love about the United States.

I've heard Dinesh D'Souza speak, and I like most of what he says. However,
when he speaks of plumbers and waiters and other such workers, and is in awe
that they have some cash and some rights, he also needs to know that it was
plumbers and waiters construction workers who fought, suffered, and often
died to make America what it is today.

We now live in a country where construction workers regularly pay $4 for a

nonfat latte
where maids drive nice cars, and where plumbers take their families on

vacation to Europe.
- Which is how it should be.

"I really want to live in a country where the poor people are fat."

- this is true

no country has created a better ladder than America for people to ascend

from modest circumstances to success.
- this is true

Work and trade are respectable in America

- They deserve respect, but America still looks down on the tradespeople,
big mistake. This is not true in some other places, like Germany, where the
trades are honored. In America, we send our academically failing students,
behavior problems, malcontents, and social misfits to the Vocational high
schools to learn a trade. It is only the trade unions who are seeing
through this farce, and they recruit new members not from vocational high
schools, but from colleges. Trade Union members are told to not send their
children to vocational high schools. How sad this is that the educational
systems has *******ized an ancient and proven system of apprenticing.

In the American view, there is nothing vile or degraded about serving your

customers either as a CEO or as a waiter.
- Unfortunately, neither is likely to get good service. Try dealing with the
IRS, any insurance agency, any governmental agency, any business with more
than 50 employees. Good luck.

Indeed America is the only country in the world where we call the waiter

"sir," as if he were a knight.
- I was a waiter when I was a young college student, so I can't agree with
this one. People, especially our visiting neighbors from New York, treated
us like ****. Then they typically stiffed us for a tip. Meanwhile, food
workers make less than minimum wage.

For all his riches, Bill Gates could not approach the typical American

and say, "Here's a $100 bill. I'll give
it to you if you kiss my feet." Most likely the person would tell Gates

to go to hell!
- He should visit Times Square, people are doing a lot more than kiss feet
for a lot less money.

Scout