Default It's tough being filthy rich...

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 14:00:10 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:37:01 -0500, wrote:

You reap what birds sow.

Very true. Seeds have a way of surviving the digestive process and
getting a head start in a pile of fertilizer. The worst one here for
us is Brazilian Pepper. They were imported as an ornamental because
they grow very fast and make a dense hedge but once they got loose,
with nothing that really hurts them here they take over. That is not
the only bad exotic plant here but it is certainly one of the top 4 or
5.

There are a few places here where bamboo is going crazy. I'm sure someone brought a few plants up
here thinking they'd be 'cute'. Now they have a couple acres of the damn stuff.

You just have to be careful what kind of bamboo you get. The kind that
shows up in pots is usually "running" bamboo that will spread like
wild fire. They like it because it is real easy to grow and in a pot
it is contained.
I have "clumping" bamboo behind my house and it stays put. (except in
120 MPH winds when it eats your boat lift cover)
An interesting side note is the bamboo around here was contracted by
Thomas Edison for his light bulb experiments. The Koreshans grew it
for him up at their compound and people have been taking shoots off of
the remaining clumps for almost a century.
The Koreshan site is also overrun by the running kind and I bet that
even the Koreshans were sorry they planted that stuff. (particularly
after Edison figured out it would not work on his light bulb and there
was no market for it)