Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On 10/30/2017 6:56 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2017 8:35 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2017 8:22 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/27/17 10:52 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/27/2017 10:17 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation.Â* I just
wish they weren't so boring to drive.Â*

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds.Â* Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way.Â* The Canyon I bought has
a V6 rated at 308 hp.Â* It has an 8 speed transmission that I
really like a lot.Â* I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a
couple of times for kicks.Â* Shifts are quick and positive and the
little truck can scoot right along.

What are you averaging for MPGs? If I drive "rationally," I'm
getting about 23-25 MPG in suburban areas with light traffic and a
few stoplights, and 27-29 MPG on the Interstates if I stay at my
typical 60-65 mph. Six-speed manual tranny. Drove wife's Camry
4-cylinder auto up to Bowie earlier this week, about 30 miles, on
U.S. 301, and averaged 37 MPG for light traffic, but plenty of
traffic lights, driving. That sort of MPG will put a smile on my
face with a nice-sized four-door sedan.Â*

I get 20-22 MPG driving around town (no highway driving) under
similar conditions as you described.Â* Haven't taken a long highway
trip yet, so I don't know what kind of mileage it gets.

The V6 and 8 speed transmission in the 2017 Canyon replaces the V6
and 6 speed it used in previous years.Â* It has a little more
horsepower and torque.Â* It's not a new engine or transmission.Â* It
has been used in the Cadillac SUV for a few years.Â* GMC just decided
to use it in the Canyon, probably to up the towing capacity from 6k
to 7k lbs.

I thought the Canyon used to have an unreliable 5cyl engine.

I just looked it up.Â* It had a 5cyl in the "Gen 1" versions (up to 2012).

The Gen 2 versions (2012 and up) have options of a gas 4 cyl, a diesel
4 cyl and a 3.6L V6.Â* It used the the LFX version of the V6 up to 2016
and switched to the LGZ version in 2017 (the one I have). The LGZ is
designed more for truck use, has a little more horsepower and torque
than the LFX version and has a cylinder deactivation feature that
makes it a V4 in certain situations where you have let off on the
gas.Â* It's not even noticeable and I didn't realize it was doing it
until I happened to notice a little display on the info center.Â* Most
of the time it displays "V6" and I got used to that although I thought
it was strange that it was even displaying "V6" to begin with.Â* Then,
once in a while when slowing down I noticed it said "V4".Â* Thought I
was seeing things at first.Â* There is absolutely no sense or feel when
it switches back and forth and at idle it goes back to V6.

I have a friend up north with a Mercury 125 or 150 two-stroke on his
walleye boat.Â* It has something similar.Â* When you take off it starts
cruising along on two cylinders until it hits a certain point where the
other two kick in.Â* It's *not* a smooth transition.Â* It's like someone
hit the N2O button and it really plants you in your seat.

It seems like the new Canyons are larger than the old version, too. They
look more like a full-size truck and less like a Ranger.

Definitely bigger than a Ranger but smaller than a full sized pickup.
It's considered a "mid-sized", similar in size to the newer Toyota
Tacoma and bigger than the Nissan Frontier. Was told that the full
sized trucks will slowly be phased out other than "work truck" models.

I had one of those Merc outboards on a 16' Boston Whaler. (new hull
style). It ran on 2 cylinders up to about 2,000 RPM and then the other
two kicked in. You're right. It was not a "smooth" transition. If you
weren't holding on it would knock you off your feet when they kicked in.
Didn't like that engine at all.