Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline

Default Thanks guys - for the laptop help!

On 3/30/17 7:19 AM, justan wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 3/29/2017 7:45 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 18:52:36 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/29/2017 6:29 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
I'll let you know what I finally get, but I'm leaning towards that HP now. Thousand bucks for all
that seems like a decent deal.

https://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-17t-L...100317268.html

Looks like a nice one. Now that a few of us have suggested HP, you'll
probably have all kinds of problems with it. :-)

I am also starting to shop for a new laptop. This one is getting a bit
long in the tooth although it still works fine. Not too excited about
Win 10 though, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Get used to paying Microsoft a recurring charge too. That is their
goal. They want subscription software, not pay and run forever.

I have still not found anything I want to do that XP won't do for me.
Maybe I should just follow you guys around and pick up the machines
you throw away. ;-)

Bear in mind I was in the computer biz for 30 years, dealing with
thousands of customers over the years. The ones who were most
successful always ran a generation or two behind the bleeding edge.
Their hardware was field tested, all of the ECs were installed and the
"lemons" were history. (imagine the poor suckers who bought a "noodle
snatcher") The same was true of the software. Older versions had all
of the bugs shaken out.

Doesn't mean squat when the older computer with an older OS ****s the
bed due to a mother board blowing up or the hard drive crashing. I am
not into computer repair or building like you are. When it dies I buy a
new one.

Same here. I used to fix mainframes but since the PC took over and
became a throwaway item i have little interest in monkeying with
hardware. It's hard enough keeping all of the devices talking to
each other.

Well, of course, it isn't *that* difficult, depending on which devices
and what you want them to do when they "communicate."