Alex McGruer

Default Sea kayak Leadership on trips.

Peter Clinch wrote in message ...
Alex McGruer wrote:
For a sea kayaking day paddle ( Protected Water ) 10 to 15 KM return
trip. What level of leadership do you require at a club level?

What's the nature of the club? If you're going out with consenting
adults who understand the implications and do not expect you to take
responsibility for their safety I don't see that you *need* any. And
beyond that, how are you measuring leadership, exactly?

Pete.

Actually that is about my take on any club event as well .

Just as long as no cash changes hands that should cover it.
In this world of litigation however that may not be the case.

I was wondering what standards are used elsewhere.
Our club uses CRCA 2 with current first aid training .
That would be BCU 4 or 5 star as leaders.
Local guiding opperations ( Proffesionals ) have much less skilled
people guiding tours.

We do a hald dozen club paddles or less but a ton of invitational and
posted paddles happen. Unsanctioned by the club but attended by all.
Sad Times when you fel the need to do that.

Leadership is measured for my purpose in a recognized ability to stay
out of trouble and get yourself and others out when things go wrong.
More utility than true leadership.