Broooz

Default Gentle Paddling in Scotland.

"Mike Buckley" wrote in message
I note your opinion. The Teith includes a rapid which forms a recognised
slalom site. Are we therfore to suggest that it also falls outside the
criteria of a run suitble for begineers, in your words, "a gentle river"?

Not suitable for complete beginners but it is clearly grade II so falls
within the original criteria.

You are absolutley right in suggesting that the Leny requires care.

However,
at LOW levels I contend it is far from being anywhere near a "grade III
plus" river below the Falls. I base this informed view on finding a level

3
assessment group on the river some years ago.

That is not an appropriate way of deciding the grading of a river. Several
years ago it was common practice for some assessors to assess on water that
was generally above the required grade with the proviso that the assessment
would be suspended over the higher grade section. Then someone was failed
a LIII assessment on the Orchy and complained that the reason for their
failure was down to their nerves following the running of a section of IV
which was above their experience. That practice was then banned so
assessors should not assess on the III stretch of Leny any more.

Instead of using that method of judging the grading, try looking at the
rapid from the point of view of the gradings definitions and you will see it
is clearly grade III. Alternatively, ask an experienced level IV or V coach
if you don't trust the views of the only coaches to join this thread so far.

However the grading of that particular rapid less critical than the upper
Leny. Your original comment that caused concern from both me and Jim was
the statement "If the Leny is low, its relatively gentle (ex the Falls of
course). " The problem with that is how to judge whether it is low if you
are a grade II paddler you may not appreciate the difference. Secondly, how
to ensure you get off the river before the falls which is a very high risk
situation to put anyone of this experience into. Fortunately, Ewan was not
lulled into a false sense of security and decided against the Leny, but I
can't understand why you suggested it.