Eric Nyre

Default Image in instruction

I'm going to jump in on this one, because I sit on both sides of the
image issue.

If I am instructing through my shop, and the classes are beginner
"intro" classes, then I will use a gorgeous boat. Shiny, pretty,
whatever. Why? Because instruction through the shop helps sell boats
for the shop, and in my experience the new image helps sell boats.
Pure economics. Image is very important in that part of my market.

Am I doing much rescue work in the beginner "intro" classes? Not
really. I'm teaching very basic stuff, and only spending a few hours
on the water. I'll cover a rescue when someone flips while bracing,
but I try to keep the classes short enough that people have fun, don't
get tired, and want to come back for more. The boats don't get beat up
in those classes.

Being landlocked in Colorado, my paddling environment is different
from the coastal paddlers, and the classes are for my conditions not
elsewhere. Someone can keep a boat looking very shiny and new in this
environment, while still paddling many hours a week.

The new shiny rule applies to canoes, kayaks, whatever.

If I am instructing through a club, or a non-beginner class for the
shop, then I'll grab my personal boats. These have been beat up,
rebuilt, beat up more, etc. They are used, abused, and while I try to
keep them looking good, they may have several colors of not quite
matching gel where I rip them up on the rivers. Why do I grab the
beaters? Because the goal is pure instruction, not sales. If I am
really teaching then I am going to scratch the boats up. There is no
way around it. To teach I also put my students in a rougher
environment (typically rivers) and that is also harder on equipment.
The beat up boats also represent "battle scars", which is a different
image, but still an image.

I understand the arguments against pretty equipment, and I would agree
with them if I were not looking at it from a sales perspective. I sell
twice as many boats to beginner students when I'm in a pretty boat,
than when I am in a beater. I haven't examined the results for
non-beginner paddlers, it may be the reverse where beat up boats help
sales more. At least I hope that is the case.

On another note, I also cycle through my personal boats about once a
year, selling them mid to late season. That keeps me in good looking
boats, with all the current features/ trends. It's also because of
image. Would you feel more comfortable buying a Honda car from a
salesman who drives a new Civic or a rusted out clunker? I've sold
many good personal boats because of image. When someone buys the boat
and asks why I am selling it, I tell them the truth. Image.

For those who said they would not learn from someone in a shiny new
boat, think about this. If you instructor is in a shiny new boat, but
has a faded PFD and a scratched up paddle, is that a different image
from someone with all new equipment? I admit I'd trust the faded PFD
guy more. Some piece of equipment needs to be well used, because while
we all replace equipment, we seldom replace it all at the same time.

I'm not sure what environment Te is teaching in, if it is canoe or
kayak, but if it is connected to a shop and it is beginner fla****er
instruction, then a sharp looking boat is not a bad idea.

Beginners usually care more about image than seasoned paddlers. Right
or wrong, it is there. If the image is the "old man of the sea" or
"clean shaven ski instructor" it's there. Shops care about selling
boats, so when you put the two together, the shop needs to present the
image that will sell them the most boats. Economics can't be ignored,
and the shop that tries to ignore it will not last long (and yes, some
shops thrive on the old man of the sea image, but it is still an
image, just different from the shiny new style).

This is just my 2 cents, showing the odd nature of Colorado paddling
;-)