Ki Ayker

Default PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal

Absolutely. I'm all for insurance companies having a freer hand to
dictate coverage terms and to price coverage according to what terms the
insured is willing to accept.

My father and older brother work in insurance, and so did I for a while. I
hate to tell you this, but insurance is ALL about statistics. And the current
statistics DO NOT support mandatory use of a pfd in a sea kayak.
Besides, if the insurance company did have that kind of power then what
would be next? They may decide, based on the statistics, that every paddler
must wear a drysuit. Now your paddling in Florida and the air temp is 110
degrees and the water is 80 degrees. To have to wear a drysuit would be
ludicrous! But you get into trouble and need assistance. To bad! Your insurance
is canceled because you didn't have on a drysuit at the time as dictated by the
insurance company. Is that really what you want?

Scott
So.Cal.