[email protected] bruceinbangkok@nowhere.org is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 12:01:46 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

Well, we left you in a state of suspense over the potentially severe
weather, torrential rains, and other unknowns. The "break" part here is
still the surgeries for broken bones entailing our return to the US, as
nothing broke aboard Flying Pig in these few days.

As I write this, our schedule is still flexible, but we've not gotten
anywhere near the Gulf Stream, one of the potential terrors after our last.

However, both the wind and rain turned out to be much less than originally
forecast, due to the disintegration of the low expected to provide all the
excitement.

The wind was moderate, and so was the rain. However, there were a few heavy
periods over the 6 hours or so (compared to the 24 forecasted hours) it came
down. I got out the deck brush to do final touchups; Lydia had already
cleaned before, particularly in the anchor chain area up front; it stains
due to the chain's galvanizing starting to go on the section we use all the
time. Likely sometime soon, we'll end-for-end it to give the currently
untouched end a chance at some work.

In the Bahamas, we are usually anchored in 8-15' of water. However, our bow
is 5' over the water, so when we calculate how much chain to put out, we
have to go from there. As our comfort level in general is at 7-1 scope (7
times the distance from the bottom to the bow roller), it means that the
100-150' section gets all the work.

We replaced this 300' chain in our refit, so when we turn it around, that
end will be new. But I digress...

End for ending an anchor chain is common practice and in many
countries/places a chain can be re-galvanized rather than replacing if
not worn excessively.

--
Cheers,

Bruce