Michael Daly

Default How to find a partner to canoe to Arctic Ocean

On 17-Dec-2003, Richard Ferguson wrote:

One suggestion has been to join a guided group trip, but I am
accustomed to small groups with cooperative joint leadership, also the
cost of a guided trip seems steep. (Floatplane costs are, however,
potentially a big issue on an independent trip). I have more time than
money. I would consider doing the McKenzie solo, but can't say that a
solo trip seems particularly smart or attractive.

I can't imagine that there'd be too many commercial offerings for such
a trip. Most concentrate on something more exotic than the Mackenzie.
If you launch from somewhere like Wrigley, you could drive all the way
in and skip the flight costs. Return to your vehicle would require
a flight, though. Even if you don't drive, finding a commercial flight
into, say, Norman Wells or Fort Good Hope, and leaving from Tuk would
avoid chartering a float plane. I don't know what kind of service is
available to those towns, though, so it might end up the same $ as a
drop in the middle of nowhere. Also, the tail end, getting to Tuk,
would be a hairy paddle in the Arctic Ocean. I'd do it in a sea kayak,
but not a canoe.

The Mackenzie is a big river and it flows fast all the time. You would
be able to cover a lot of distance without paddling. The north end is
interesting as I understand it - lots of shallows and stuff.

The Horton, OTOH, is in the middle of nowhere.

Victoria Jason paddled the Mackenzie and wrote of it in Kabloona In A
Yellow Kayak. She met a couple of guys in a canoe and described
the trip. One of those guys now works for Mountain Equipment Coop
and lurks occasionally on paddling lists.

If you find someone to go with, be forwarned - they'll be as crazy as
you :-) Good luck - it's a trip I've thought of ever since seeing the
Mackenzie at Fort Simpson (stopover on the way to Nahanni).

Mike