Brian Nystrom

Default Wetsuits vs. drysuits

Blankibr wrote:

I think the answer really comes down to what works for you. Not just what you
prefer, but what WORKS. If you own a wetsuit, get some protection, like
someone ready to rescue you and a place to warm up, then test your cold weather
clothing by trying a capsize, roll, blow the roll and do a rescue.

If you find you are not able to do the rescue because the cold is too much,
then you need a drysuit. I did this at the CPA cold water clinic a few years
ago and purchased a drysuit. I was able to do several rescues after several
rolls, but I knew I would be more comfortable in the drysuit.

When paddling in Maine last year, my two experienced, fellow paddlers wore
wetsuits and I wore my drysuit. I think I was the more comfortable (and less
smelly) of the three. When one tried doing rolls and rescues there, he decared
a farmer john was not sufficient protection in that cold water.

Brian Blankinship

Agreed. Another simple test is to walk into the water you plan to paddle in and
stand there for a few minutes. You'll learn quickly whether your immersion gear is
up to the task.

--
Regards

Brian