Craig Lincoln

Default Contenintal unfair to paddlers

We had this problem travelling to Honduras with a sea kayak several years
ago -- even before 9/11. We dutifully repacked everything to get 1" under
the maximum height/width/length limit and a couple of pounds under the max
weight. Incidentally, it was an international flight on Continental. And
they were talking about a few hundred dollars extra charges.

Airlines are getting damned sticky on this now. Northwest lowered its max
weight to something like 70 pounds, carging something like $50 for anything
over 50 pounds. Try to fit a double sea kayak and gear through that window.

We've also had the golf bag thing happen to us -- we dutifully packed
everything carefully to fit the previous guidelines and followed a couple of
rich-looking golfers through the baggage check. Their hard-shelled golf bags
must have been 50 percent larger than our bags, but they gleefully took them
onto the plane. Probably pure politics.

Anyway, here's one bit of advice: File complaint letters as soon and as
forcefully as possible. We got dinged on United Airlines in exactly the same
way as you: OK one way, not OK the other way. We got two free tickets out of
them after complaining. Best of luck. Our wheels should be just as squeaky
as a golfer -- maybe then we'd get treated better.

cheerio
craig lincoln