View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Gary S.

Default Contenintal unfair to paddlers

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:05:06 -0500, "Te Canaille"
wrote:

About 6 years ago I started traveling to various canoe clinics to teach FreeStyle Canoeing. Commercial airline flights
were chosen as the means of transportation due to time constraints and actually a more economical way to go. Canoes and paddles
could always be borrowed but kneeling pads were a problem. My personalized homemade pad was almost a necessity. A FreeStyle Canoe

At this point a somewhat humorous if not bothersome scene turned very dark. I had purchased E-tickets which meant that Continental
Airlines had my credit card number. The female ticket agent armed with this information informed me that if I continued to argue,

question, to my way of thinking this opened a larger question for any passengers purchasing E-tickets. IF TICKETS ARE PURCHASED
ELECTRONICALLY WITH A CREDIT CARD NUMBER, DOES THE CARRIER HAVE THE RIGHT TO ADD ADDITIONAL CHARGES AT THEIR OWN DISCRETION? This
had such a chilling effect that I removed my bags and went to another section of the terminal to ponder a solution. The lines
through security were very long and there was a danger of missing the flight so I removed the pad from the duffle, left it in the
terminal, took the duffle with the PFD and sleeping bag to the sky cap outside, who gladly checked it through, and continued with
the journey.

I'll make a new pad. My wife and I will certainly never fly Continental or purchase E-tickets again. We travel for other
business as well and probably only spend about $ 4,000 to $5,000 a year on tickets. That certainly is no big loss for Continental,
but will be my small protest. I URGE EVERYONE TO BE AWARE THAT IF YOU PURCHASE E-TICKETS WITH A CREDIT CARD YOU MAY BE PUTTING YOUR
BANK ACCOUNT AT THE MERCY OF A FRUSTRATED TICKET CLERK SOMEWHERE WITH A NEED TO ASSERT THEMSELVES.

In many airports, checking borderline baggage through the skycaps is
far more likely to get through with excess baggage charges.

I do find amusement in the clerks who cite FAA backing and federal
authority for their every whim. It helps to have a printout of their
airline's policy.

Similar issues have come up for backpackers traveling with empty
stoves. While the FAA (and common sense) obviously prohibit any stove
FUEL being on a plane, some airlines or boarding clerks interpret that
as meaning no STOVES, even brand new, and force people to throw them
away, which could ruin their trip.

You are lucky you didn't get in trouble for leaving a large object in
the terminal.

Nasty move with the retroactive charges, you might be able to contest
them through your CC company. BTW, the other night at the
all-you-can-eat buffet, you ate more than we planned, so we are adding
a $5 charge onto the the credit card you used.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
------------------------------------------------
at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom