Default Breath Control

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:22:28 -0700, "Paula Johnson"
wrote:

I am a new paddler, and really want to learn to roll. I'm mostly comfortable
with submersion when wearing nose clips - but how to you get comfortable
with a nose full of water? I hate getting water up my nose, and I think this
fear is holding me back from being comfortable upside down under my boat,
which is where I want to learn to spend time calmly. What helps one get over
this fear?

I've had my head under water a lot when swimming in childhood and
during my brief flirtation with whitewater a few years ago. I do get
some water in the outer part of my nose, but never noticed that it got
filled. There are so many other things to think of and do when you're
under water that it just doesn't become an issue for me.

Just don't inhale and you should be fine. In white water you'll be
upside down and going with the current with your head down if it's
typical. Water won't be forcing itself up your nose. I _think_ it's
more like being drawn away from it.

The only time I recall getting a large amount of water up my nose was
as a teen, when one of the guys pulled my ankles out from under me as
I was standing in still water and pulled me backwards. I assume I was
inhaling at the time or the drag pressure did it.

The fear is pretty natural. Mine is a combination fear of pain
(getting things up your nose and down into your throat hurts (or vice
versa when you laugh or cough while drinking a beverage, something I'm
more familiar with)) and a fear of drowning. Drowning does involve
water up the nose, but it's not symmetrical. Water up the nose does
not equal drowning. And the pain is not all that awful. Not as bad
as the road rash that any kid gets when riding a bicycle and going
down. We all get back on the bikes and keep going. Kayaking is
enough fun that when you do finally get the dreaded water up the nose,
you'll right yourself, blow it out, and paddle on without being upset
(other than with your form on rolling, which you'll get over, too).
--
rbc: vixen Fairly harmless

Hit reply to email.
Though I'm very slow to respond.