Michael Daly

Default New Boat - 2 Choices... Opinions?

On 18-Jul-2004, Professional Target wrote:

But even so, the deck height was very low and the seat appeared
to be all the way back, so I suspect this boat would cramp a bit. I have
rather long legs, so that may be part of the problem.

I've yet to see a full-sized kayak that can't handle tall folks. In fact
I know a lot of people who wish they'd make the kayak cockpits shorter
(i.e. place the forward bulkhead further aft) to provide more storage
forward and less floodable volume in the cockpit.

A low deck is good and is desirable for a lot of paddlers. But with a
keyhole cockpit, you're stuck in the birthing position with low knees.
It may not really be cramped, but it might feel that way. I prefer
an ocean cockpit with a low deck.

One issue I have with the quality of the boat (and it may be a non-issue)
is the hatch covers - they look rather weak to me, and seem they could be
easily pulled off when you don't want them off...

They look like VCP type - stiffer than the rubbery Kayaksport type. They
can be surprisingly hard to remove, especially when it's cold. They are
matched to a rim that is a tight fit. I wouldn't worry about them, but
keep them treated with a UV protectant like 303.

If they tend to bulge or suck in with changes in temperature, they are too
air tight and it's a good idea to make the tiniest hole in the bulkhead to
prevent air pressure from building up. Make the hole in the middle of the
bulkhead and it won't leak more than a drip of water once in a while.

Mike