Maynard G. Krebbs

Default New engine for Far Cove

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:17:23 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,

As soon as I sell the appt, I'm repowering Far Cove (36ft sailboat).
The existing engine is old, tired and underpowered. 21hp is NOT ENOUGH for
a 36-ft boat!
However, I don't have a lot of space, so I need something that's about
the same size, but hopefully more power, and also hopefully as quiet,
smooth, and reliable as the ol' M25 has been!

Options I'm looking at:

1. Universal M25XPB: 26hp, pretty much exact, drop-in replacement.
Basically the same engine, bored/stroked a bit to get an extra 5 hp.

2. Westerbeke 35D: 31hp, 3" longer. Have to build a new engine cover, but I
THINK I could shoehorn this in. I think this is the engine the new C36's
have.

3. Volvo MD2030: 29hp, slightly larger. Probably an easy fit, size-wise,
but I would expect mods to engine mounts, exhaust, etc.

Comments? In particular, would the Volvo be quieter/smoother than the
Universal or Westerbeke? Any other options/mfrs I should be looking at?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Sorry I can't help with your problem LLoyd. I wanted to mention that
rebuilding your engine mounting stringers might not be a bad idea
after this long of a time no matter which engine you choose. Sorry if
I'm bringing up the obvious. )
Mark Williams