John Fereira

Default Kayak Universa Roof Foam Kit

"Chris" wrote in
:

All,

I'm new to kayaking and would like to know if the setup below will work
just fine? I have a factory rack installed. or would you still go for
the Thule setup?

http://www.prolineracks.com/riversid...k-carrier.html

The primary advantage of using the foam blocks is that they're inexpensive.
They work fine for the occasional trip, even a long trip. I carried a
fiberglass sea kayak on foam blocks from upstate NY to the Outer Banks and
back using foam blocks. However, to get the kayak secure it requires a
little more time and effort than it does with a yakima or thule rack. If
you're going to be paddling a lot, it pays in the long run to have a rack
system that is always on the vehicle. With the foam blocks you've got to
install the foam blocks first (not always real easy even though they claim
to have a universal fit) then put on the kayak. Depending on where you
launch you might even want to remove the blocks while you're out paddling.

Someone else mentioned bow and stern lines. With foam blocks, bow and stern
lines are pretty much mandatory no matter how short your trip. With a
thule/yakima system you can get by with just a bow line in most cases. I
prefer to use rope for bow/stern lines rather than straps. The bow/stern
lines should not be too tight. They're there to prevent the boat from coming
off the vehicle should the rack to boat (or rack to vehicle) system fail.
Rope bow/stern lines are much quieter than using straps.