John Smith

Default Watson Canoes?

Michael Daly wrote:

It can depend on the canoe. I did a lot of solo paddling in the old days
and found that a good 17' canoe is easier to handle than a poor 15-16'.
If you are talking about a solo canoe (i.e. single seat like the Osprey)
then 15-16' is standard. But for a double, even 17 is not too much
to handle solo if well designed.

OK, so my selections have now expanded to most of the line. Algonquin,
Kipawa, Mattawa or maybe a Dumoine.

I guess at this point I'm just going to have to head out on Saturday and
paddle some of these things. Man I'm rusty...

With the asymmetrical canoes, when you paddle them solo, do you still
spin the canoe around and sit in the bow seat? Or am I missing the point
of a kneeling thwart?

Anyways, thanks for all your help. I guess it will probably boil down
to $$, from what I've read, it doesn't seem I'll go too far wrong with
any of these.

Are there good deals at the sales? Here's to hoping I can get into
something in Kevlar!

Thanks again

Brian