Michael Daly

Default Watson Canoes?

On 18-Apr-2004, John Smith wrote:

So, it seems that I would be looking at either an Algonquin 15 or 16, or
perhaps a Mattawa, if I were to get a Swift. The Mattawa looks to be a
better canoe, I will have to try one.

I haven't paddled a Mattawa, but I did paddle an Algonquin 17 for a weekend
once. I didn't realize that the A-17 was not considered a "serious" canoe -
its marketed as a high-end family or good recreational canoe. I found it
handled quite well and had decent speed. I would have rated as good or
better than many other companies' high-end tripper canoes!

I can't say much about the 15 or 16 foot versions other than to suggest that
if they're comparable to the 17, they're good enough for most paddlers.

If I had to buy a lake tripper tomorrow, I'd get the Swift Kippawa. If
there's one available, give it a look.

They will be in Guelph, Ontario next weekend, which is about 1 hours
drive from where I am.

I bought my last boat - a Boreal Designs Ellesmere sea kayak from Swift
at Guelph two years ago. If you're lucky, you;ll find a deal like I did.

Mike