Michael Daly

Default Watson Canoes?

On 18-Apr-2004, John Smith wrote:

I just found Watson canoes (www.watsoncanoes.com), and seeing as they
are about 20 minutes from here, I was going to go check them out. They
say the boats are hand-laid fiberglass, and the 16' Prospector is 58lbs,
which seems manageable.

I have no experience with Watson, but a 58lb fiberglass canoe in a hand layup
at C$800 sounds like a poor quality canoe. There's no way that you can get
an efficient hand layup in that price range (compared to vacuum bagging),
so its weight must mean a light layup. Besides, anyone that calls a canoe
with a plumb stem a Prospector can't possibly know anything useful about
canoes.

Swift makes good canoes and you'd be better off with a used Swift than
an unknown.

Mike