posted to rec.boats.building

Default concrete submarine yacht, personal submarine

I built a nice 20 ton submarine yacht and had a lot of fun diving in
it. Be asured it works. Many of your questions will be answered if you
have a look at my submarine at website:
[www.tolimared.com/submarine]
I would be glad to discuss such a proyect with anyone interested in
submarines, personal submarines, submarine yachting, c-subs, and
similar.

posted to rec.boats.building

Those are interesting pictures, but I dont know that I believe them.
Why are there no pictures of the construction phase?

Pictures are so easy to fake these days that it makes it hard to
believe this.

wellmer wrote:
I built a nice 20 ton submarine yacht and had a lot of fun diving in
it. Be asured it works. Many of your questions will be answered if you
have a look at my submarine at website:
[www.tolimared.com/submarine]
I would be glad to discuss such a proyect with anyone interested in
submarines, personal submarines, submarine yachting, c-subs, and
similar.

posted to rec.boats.building

The US "Department of Homeland Security" (quotes intentional, and meant
to imply a certain distaste for their modus operandi) would *love* it
if the yachting community suddenly abandoned their Hatteras' for
mini-subs.

My guess is that they'd shoot first and ask questions later, and very
quickly proclaim that "any small craft that does not float (above) the
water shall henceforth and forever be illegal within 200 miles of any
US territory or possession!"

Wouldn't want to spook the natives when one of these poped-up next to a
ferry boat full of tourists on a pleasant afternoon on the San
Francisco Bay...

MW

jim.isbell wrote:
Those are interesting pictures, but I dont know that I believe them.
Why are there no pictures of the construction phase?

Pictures are so easy to fake these days that it makes it hard to
believe this.

It's real. He posted photos of it a couple of years ago at the
psubs.org site. One of the European psubbers may have met him.

"wellmer" writes:

I built a nice 20 ton submarine yacht and had a lot of fun diving in
it. Be asured it works. Many of your questions will be answered if you
have a look at my submarine at website:
[www.tolimared.com/submarine]
I would be glad to discuss such a proyect with anyone interested in
submarines, personal submarines, submarine yachting, c-subs, and
similar.

Cool project and very, very different from my boat:

http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/

I have been aboard a couple of military subs but this does
not put me in a position from which I can say anything useful
about your boat. I enjoyed your site though.

Cheers,

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."

posted to rec.boats.building

wellmer wrote:

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life!!!

When I lived in Hawaii (over 20 years ago) I dreamed about building a very
similar craft, although the details were different from yours. I never got
started building my dream sub, thinking it was too crazy an idea, and
potentially dangerous. My dream was to live aboard a concrete sub, largely
because it could be left sitting on the bottom, out of the way of other
craft and secure while I was ashore. Ability to enter underwater securely
was important to me, I see this feature lacking in your design.

I sure would love to see all the technical details of your machine!

Regards,

Gene A. Townsend

I built a nice 20 ton submarine yacht and had a lot of fun diving in
it. Be asured it works. Many of your questions will be answered if you
have a look at my submarine at website:
[www.tolimared.com/submarine]
I would be glad to discuss such a proyect with anyone interested in
submarines, personal submarines, submarine yachting, c-subs, and
similar.

posted to rec.boats.building

Hello Gene,

Yes, this is one of the real fine things of internet - a guy who builds
a concrete sub to dive in alpine lakes and a guy with a similar idea in
hawaii can comunicate - this really brings new stuff up...

When let your submarine sit on the botom you have to think about
ventilation - if you do not ventilate constantly (someting like air
entering from front snorkel leaving trough aft snorkel ) see pictures -
www.tolimared.com/submarine - on anchor site - if no ventilation at all
you would get condensation and a very humed ambient in your boat.

I would spare underwater entrance for bigger submarines with seperate
wet and dry ambients similar to a underwater habitat.

Kindest Regards,

W. Ellmer

On 21 ene, 23:55, Gene Townsend wrote:
[...]

Hi, Jim,

Aeem....i have more concrete submarine yacht pictures ... the reason
why i did not show pictures from construction is that forming process
is the tricky part of a concrete hull and i do not wish to give all my
secrets away upfront...

Kindest Regards,
Wilfried Ellmer

wellmer wrote:
I built a nice 20 tonsubmarine yachtand had a lot of fun diving in
it. Be asured it works. Many of your questions will be answered if you
have a look at my submarine at website:
[www.tolimared.com/submarine]
I would be glad to discuss such a proyect with anyone interested in
submarines, personal submarines, submarine yachting, c-subs, and
similar.

posted to rec.boats.building

I would think that using a large rubber balloon for the form would be
the way to do it so it was a seamless hull.....

Wilfried Ellmerwww.tolimared.com/submarine

wellmer wrote:
I built a nice 20 tonsubmarine yachtand had a lot of fun diving in
it. Be asured it works. Many of your questions will be answered if you
have a look at my submarine at website:
[www.tolimared.com/submarine]
I would be glad to discuss such a proyect with anyone interested in
submarines, personal submarines, submarine yachting, c-subs, and
similar.

posted to rec.boats.building

Hi Jim,

Use of a rubber ballon certainly would be a way to do forming of a
concrete submarine hull. This has been done for concrete domes on
construction sites.

Anyhow i used a forming method with a so called "moving form" similar
to that used in construction of toronto TV tower. The form makes ring
after ring in a continous process...