posted to rec.boats.paddle.whitewater

Default Kayak for tall paddler

I am a beginner paddler. I am looking for a ww boat and am having a
real hard time fitting into one. I am 6'5" and 205lbs with size 12
feet. Could someone suggest a boat that may be good to try. Also if
someone not far from Calgary, Alberta has one for a reasonable price I
would be interested.

I have fit into a Pyrahna Burn L.

I do not fit in a Wavesport Godzilla, bigEZ, SuperEZ, Dagger GTX,
Dagger RPM.

My problem seems to be my leg length. My inseam is about 37" and I
think that my back to bottom of foot sitting length is about 49".

I have heard that Jackson boats have lots of room, and I have also been
told to check out the Mamba, Z, and Y. I would appreciate any info on
these boats or any other suggestions. It is a bad time of year here to
be trying to find a boat to fit in so I thank you for all your help.

Guy

wrote:
I am a beginner paddler. I am looking for a ww boat and am having a
real hard time fitting into one. I am 6'5" and 205lbs with size 12
feet. Could someone suggest a boat that may be good to try. Also if
someone not far from Calgary, Alberta has one for a reasonable price I
would be interested.

I have fit into a Pyrahna Burn L.

I do not fit in a Wavesport Godzilla, bigEZ, SuperEZ, Dagger GTX,
Dagger RPM.

My problem seems to be my leg length. My inseam is about 37" and I
think that my back to bottom of foot sitting length is about 49".

I have heard that Jackson boats have lots of room, and I have also been
told to check out the Mamba, Z, and Y. I would appreciate any info on
these boats or any other suggestions. It is a bad time of year here to
be trying to find a boat to fit in so I thank you for all your help.

I have "only" a 36" inseam and I found that there aren't a lot of boats
that I fit in comfortably. However, having said that, you will get used
to a lot more tight fitting boats after you've become more experienced.
A boat like the Super EZ should fit you, because I have well over an
inch of room left in it, and my feet are one size bigger than yours.

The Bliss Stick "Flip Stick" playboat I now paddle fits so tight that
very few of my smaller sized paddling buddies feel comfortable in it.

I think that it's very simple: if you want to improve in this sport and
you aren't average sized, you will have to either find boats with a lot
more volume than you need, or get used to be squashed in a boat.

What works for me (as in, have room left even for me) are these boats:

Prijon and Eskimo make a couple of boats (all without pillar) that are
having more legroom than most other manufacturers. Also, creekboats
generally have more legroom than the boats you mentioned.

Personally, I didn't like the (limited) room in the Z and Y, in part
because the foam pillar makes it difficult to get in and out with long
legs and big feet.

Prijon Creeker
Dagger RPM Max
Dagger Honcho
Riot Trickster
Wavesport T4

Look around and try out each and every boat you can. I did, and I ended
up with a couple of boats that (barely) worked for me. Right now I have
an Eskimo Salto creek boat, an Eskimo Topo-Duo tandem kayak and the Flip
Stick, along with some boats that I haven't used in a couple of years.

Good luck finding something that fits and feels right!

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
posted to rec.boats.paddle.whitewater
Guy Guy is offline

Default Update: Kayak for tall paddler

Update: Still Looking

Found Wavesport Y to be too small.

I do fit into the Dagger Mamba 8.5, Pyranha Stretch L/XL, Pyranha M3 L,
& Pyranha Burn L. Actually Burn could fit someone much larger than
myself, very big boat. I have not tried any of these on the water but
all dry fits.

Also tried an older RPM Max and it is uncomfortable but could be
tolerable for short periods of time.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.whitewater

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:33:45 +0200, Wilko ] wrote:
Kayak for tall paddler
| wrote:
| real hard time fitting into one. I am 6'5" and 205lbs with size 12
| feet. Could someone suggest a boat that may be good to try. Also if
| someone not far from Calgary, Alberta has one for a reasonable price I
| would be interested.
|

| A boat like the Super EZ should fit you, because I have well over an
| inch of room left in it, and my feet are one size bigger than yours.
|
| Prijon Creeker
| Dagger RPM Max
| Dagger Honcho
| Riot Trickster
| Wavesport T4
|
| Look around and try out each and every boat you can. I did, and I ended
| up with a couple of boats that (barely) worked for me.

To add to what Wilko says:

I'm 6'5 and 220 with a 36" (barely, really closer to 37") inseam. I
paddle a wavesport Z and a pyranha S:8 235 right now. Both fit me
pretty well, with the pyranha actually having some extra room (it's a
great playboat that I don't have to squish into).

A couple of things to keep in mind:
- Remember to remove any stock bow bags or foot blocks before you
get into the boat. The Super EZ I fit into quite nicely, as long
as I remove the stock foot block first.
- In almost any boat, I find my ankles are wrenched over. Because
of this, any boat that means I don't *also* have to point my toes
is usually more comfortable. For that reason, boats with a pointy
bow tend not to be as comfortable for me. I got rid of a LL hoss
for this reason.

You can also check out
http://www.kayakwisconsin.net/wb-kay...als-index.html
although it's getting a little dated.