Charles d'Autremont

Default FS: Pakcanoe 160

New 16 foot folding canoe (used once for 1 hour). Portage yolk. Knee pads.

These boats were formerly sold under the Mad River brand name.

To see boat go to www.pakboats.com

$200 off new price of $1695 and I'll throw in the kneepads for free.

Portage yoke is $55.

Boat is in Tucson, Arizona at the moment.

I'll split the shipping.

riverman

"Charles d'Autremont" wrote in message
news
New 16 foot folding canoe (used once for 1 hour). Portage yolk. Knee
pads.

These boats were formerly sold under the Mad River brand name.

To see boat go to www.pakboats.com

$200 off new price of $1695 and I'll throw in the kneepads for free.

Portage yoke is $55.

Boat is in Tucson, Arizona at the moment.

I'll split the shipping.

Charles; I might be interested. I'm out of the US, but do some online
research and find out what shipping to Bath, Maine costs, post it here, and
I'll get back to you.

--riverman

PS: although its only been used for an hour, I would want to see some
detailed pics, if thats okay.

Tinkerntom

riverman wrote:
[...]

riverman, they have been talking about this 18 lbs, hard shell folder
on bagboaters, you might want to check it our,

http://www.foldlite.com/info.html

They sell for $795 if I remember right.

Some there have been less than excited about the pakboat for anything
serious. The frame is a little to light, and subject to difficulties in
high seas, like demonstrating its ability to self fold. Not good!

I don't know if they have any reports out yet on this foldlite though,
but may be good to check out. TnT

riverman

"Tinkerntom" wrote in message
ups.com...

riverman wrote:
[...]

Looks interesting, Tom, but its a kayak and I'm a canoist. I have access to
seakayaks at my new school, but my first love is open boats. The lines on
the pakcanoe are very similar to the MR Explorer, which is (IMNSHO) the best
boat ever made. But the durability of the pakboat is a serious
consideration. Anyone else got stories?

--riverman

Tinkerntom

riverman wrote:
"Charles d'Autremont" wrote in

message
news New 16 foot folding canoe (used once for 1 hour). Portage yolk.

[...]

I forget so quickly that you are an open boater. Foldlite is coming out
with some new products which may interest you, did you see them. One is
canoe, I believe.

When you open boat, are you using a saddle, or setting on the seats? Do
you use lots of flotation, or how do you keep heavy seas from swamping
boat, if not with spray deck of some sort? TnT
TnT

John Fereira

"Tinkerntom" wrote in news:1110646158.889159.131860
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

riverman wrote:
[...]

Even if he was interested in a kayak I doubt that someone with as much
paddling experience as riverman has would be interested. Yes, it's only 18
pounds but it's also 10' long and 31" wide, putting it in the recreational
class. An inflatable seyvlor would likely have better performance.
Pakboats also makes a model called a Puffin which is also the same length,
weighs in a 17 pounds, and can be fitted with a spray deck.

Foldlite is coming out
with some new products which may interest you, did you see them. One is
canoe, I believe.

I think that riverman should come over to the dark side and build one of Tom
Yosts designed folding greenland kayaks.
Tinkerntom

riverman wrote:
[...]

Yeah I noticed that it is a bit stoggy and beamy, but for an older
stuck-in-his-rut open boat man, it might be a good place for him to
start.

But then it could be like in the movie Quincy, where at the end after
the gunfight, Quicy says, "I didn't say I didn't know how to use one,
it's just not my preference!"

I'm in favor of that darkside metamorphosis, Yost being a neighbor of
mine here in Denver, and him making some dandy boats. Though I don't
know whether riverman is inclined to the hobby craftsmen aspect of
building your own, besides having the time between now and going to, is
it HK. TnT

Richard Ferguson

The pacboats have a good reputation for expeditions in northern Canada.
I have read numerous reports from people who have used them for fly-in
trips with good success, and no reports saying that they are junk.

I know one guy who owns a smaller one, and he reports two issues: 1.
Compared to Royalex, the Packboats are not as slippery, so sometime
stick on rocks as opposed to sliding over therm. 2. He says that
assembling it is very time consuming, although he did not report a
specific assembly time. I think he might be talking over half an hour
assembly time, so he tends to leave it assembled, even if he is driving
1000 miles. I think that he likes the boat overall. He bought it with
Canadian fly-in trips in mind.

I have never paddled a Pacboat, but I would like to have one. I don't
have the money at this instant, however, nor do I have a fly-in trip
scheduled, where it would make especially good sense. A folding boat
can really simplify trip logistics, easy to take on public transporation
or small planes.

Richard

riverman wrote:

[...]

Gary S.

On 12 Mar 2005 12:00:12 -0800, "Tinkerntom" wrote:

But then it could be like in the movie Quincy, where at the end after
the gunfight, Quicy says, "I didn't say I didn't know how to use one,
it's just not my preference!"

Off topic somewhat, but I think you may mean the movie "Quigley Down
Under" starring Tom Selleck.

The line was:
"I said I never had no use for one. Never said I didn't know how to
use it."

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Tinkerntom

Gary S. wrote:
On 12 Mar 2005 12:00:12 -0800, "Tinkerntom" wrote:

But then it could be like in the movie Quincy, where at the end

after
the gunfight, Quicy says, "I didn't say I didn't know how to use

one,
it's just not my preference!"

Off topic somewhat, but I think you may mean the movie "Quigley Down
Under" starring Tom Selleck.

The line was:
"I said I never had no use for one. Never said I didn't know how to
use it."

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

You got it! My ahlzimers been bad to day! :-) TnT